January 05, 2014

Douay-Rheims Bible by St. Bendict Press

Douay-Rheims Bible by St. Benedict Press
Shown is the Douay-Rheims Bible (Challoner New Testament) published by St. Benedict Press. It lists at the publisher's website for $54.99 but is available on the internet for around $35 + shipping. This paricular copy was purchased from Adoremus Books through the Barnes & Noble marketplace.

It is genuine leather and appears to have a glued binding. Modern glued bindings are much better then they used to be but putting prayer cards and other papers inside of any fine book is never recommended. It has a single ribbon in gold/tan and gilded edges.

Subjectively, it just doesn't feel as much like a fine Bible as I had hoped it would and am left wondering if the premium ultra-soft version for ten dollars less would not have been a better value. I'm hoping the cover will soften a little with use. Time will tell.

I can already tell that my zippered leather thin-line RSV-CE from Oxford University Press will remain as my daily reader. Still, I'm really really looking forward to reading this. I've already peeked at the first lines of 1 John. John's first letter always moves my heart and my fear was that it would read archaic and dry. That is definitely not the case.

And I've never had a red-letter Bible. Maybe now my Evangelical and Baptist friends will give my Bible some respect. :)


Douay-Rheims Bible by St. Benedict Press

Douay-Rheims Bible by St. Benedict Press

Douay-Rheims Bible by St. Benedict Press

-Tim-

No comments: